Please review the following information carefully and in full for information about your class. Policies may change without prior notice.
We have the following guidelines in place for everyone’s safety. Refusal to follow these rules may result in removal from class without refund, make-up, or transfer.
- Only one student may attend with each dog to minimize the number of people in the room
- Each student must space appropriately while waiting outside, entering, and exiting
- Without exception, everyone in attendance must be masked for the duration of the class, with the mask worn properly over the mouth and nose
- Students will be assigned zones to work in, and must stay within their zone in order to maintain an appropriate distance from others
- Instructors may briefly enter your space to help you with your dog, but we will otherwise maintain a distance of at least six feet
- In order to minimize classes crossing paths and to enable us to sanitize the room, we will need students to exit promptly after class. As always, you are welcome to email us questions after class.
- You must not attend if you or anyone in your household are symptomatic, awaiting test results, have received positive test results, have been outside the country in the last 14 days, or otherwise have any reason to be following isolation requirements.
Please provide a scan or photograph by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before class. Be sure that the full certificate is visible, and include the class you’re registered in in the email. If you are unable to send the vaccination records, please bring them to the first class (it is recommended to send them by email to avoid using up class time checking vaccination records). For the safety and protection of all attendees, you will not be permitted to join class without a vaccination certificate from a veterinarian. Vaccinations that are administered by anyone other than a veterinarian will not be accepted. Required vaccinations are as follows:
- For puppies under 6 months, a minimum of two DHPP shots are required. Rabies vaccines are not required.
- For puppies and dogs over 6 months, DHPP and Rabies vaccinations must be current.
- For classes held at Paws at Play, bordatella vaccinations are required for all ages.
Your pet should be wearing a flat buckle collar with a standard 6 foot leash attached. Body and head harnesses may also be used. Martingale collars are permitted as long as they are fitted correctly (when the loop is fully tightened, it should fit only slightly more snugly than a regular flat collar).
Shock collars, choke collars, and prong collars are not permitted in class. Chain collars and leashes as well as extendable leashes are not suitable for class.
What to Bring
- Your dog’s vaccination records, if you did not email them before class.
- A delicious stuffed toy to occupy your dog when necessary is strongly recommended (such as a KONG stuffed with wet food/peanut butter, a bully stick, etc.).
- A generous amount of small, soft treats (about the size of a fingernail). It’s a good idea to bring several types with you, including a special stash of something really delicious (such as cut up hot dog). You can also mix their daily kibble ration into the treats.
- A hungry dog! Do not feed your dog for several hours before class. If necessary to settle their stomach, feed them a small portion of their meal before class.
- A bait bag for storing treats and keeping your hands free (you can likely find a substitute for this around your home if you’re unable to purchase one).
- A tug toy if your dog enjoys tugging. Please do not bring squeaky toys, as these cannot easily be used in class without distracting other dogs.
- A water bowl will be provided in class for all dogs to use, but if you prefer that your dog have their own, you are welcome to bring your own small bowl/water for them.
- We recommend wearing comfortable clothing and shoes, as well as bringing weather appropriate clothing to class. Bring water for yourself.
- Notepad/pen if you wish to take notes.
You must attend the first week of all classes. The first week contains important information about training methods and dog behaviour that cannot be provided individually. Refunds and transfers cannot be provided if the first week of class is missed.
Please arrive on time and make your best effort to attend all classes. If you miss more than two classes, you may not be able to continue your classes. We cannot offer make-up classes and it’s difficult to spend individual time catching one student up in a group setting. You will get the most out of class by showing up!
There are classes on statutory holidays unless indicated otherwise by the training schedule or your instructor. The list of class dates is provided on the class registration page – any changes to these dates will be communicated to you by your instructor.
Dogs must be kept a minimum of six feet apart at all times to avoid unnecessary conflict. Please be courteous and do not approach other dogs before, during, or after class – dogs in class are in training and are therefore easily distracted! Please keep your dog on leash at all times (with the leash in your hand) unless otherwise instructed.
Please be attentive and follow the trainers’ directions. The trainers’ instructions are there to ensure the safety and success of everyone in the class.
Please be respectful of everyone in the class and keep your cell phone put away and conversation to a minimum while the instructor is talking. If you need to answer a call, please take your dog outside and answer it there so that everyone in class can continue learning.
If your dog needs to relieve themselves, please take them outside and ensure you clean up after your dog.
A person over the age of 18 must handle the dog in class.
We are unable to offer refunds for group class registrations. Please ensure that your schedule will allow for class attendance and that your dog’s vaccinations are or will be up-to-date before you register for a class.
In emergency circumstances, it is possible that a class will need to be postponed or cancelled. We will do our best to substitute another instructor if possible, but if we are unable to we will contact you by email with as much notice as possible.
We reserve the right to change the location or method/format of the service as we feel is necessary for safety, best results, or as required by law. We have a zero tolerance policy towards abusive or harassing behaviour of any kind, and reserve the right to cancel the remainder of any student’s class without refund in the event of abusive or harassing behaviour, or of refusal to follow safety instructions intended to keep trainers, students, dogs, and members of the public safe.
I understand and agree that Good Boy Dog Training and its employees will not be held liable for any injury or damage to or any loss of any person, animal, or property resulting from the behaviour or handling of my or any pet. I and any person(s) attending classes with me will follow all policies set by Good Boy Dog Training in order to ensure the health and safety of all attendees.
I understand and acknowledge that dogs can be unpredictable and there is an inherent risk of injury when interacting with them, regardless of the size or breed of the dog.
I understand that in classes involving off leash work, there is an inherent risk of my pet running away, as well as an inherent risk in off leash interactions between animals. In classes held in off leash areas, there is an inherent risk of unknown animals approaching my pet. I understand that I have the right to decline letting my dog off leash, and Good Boy Dog Training shall not be held liable for any injury to or loss of my pet.
I understand that any training class will not result in a completely trained pet. I understand that behaviour results in any animal cannot be guaranteed, and that some behaviours may require ongoing management by me for the life of my pet. I understand that training at home is critical to the success of my pet.
I confirm that my dog has no history of biting with puncture, or if they do they have been evaluated in a private consultation with Good Boy Dog Training and deemed suitable to attend class while wearing a basket muzzle for the safety of all attendees. I understand that if I have misrepresented my dog’s bite history, I will be excused from the class without refund, make-up, or transfer.
I understand that the trainer’s instructions are there to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all people and animals in class. I agree that I will follow all policies laid out in documents and instructions provided by Good Boy Dog Training, and I understand that violation of the class policies or disregarding instructions from the trainer may result in being excused from the class without refund, make-up, or transfer.
I confirm that the dog attending class has all current vaccinations required for the class as detailed in the class description, and that those vaccinations have been completed by a veterinarian. I understand that if I have misrepresented my dog’s vaccination status, I will be excused from the class without refund, make-up, or transfer.
I confirm that if my animal is under veterinary supervision for any ongoing medical issue that I have disclosed this to Good Boy Dog Training and consulted with my veterinarian to ensure a class setting is appropriate for my dog.
I confirm that my dog does not have any infectious or transmittable illnesses or parasites. If it comes to my attention that my dog has contracted an infectious or transmittable illness or parasite, I understand that it is my responsibility to inform Good Boy Dog Training immediately and that my dog cannot continue to attend classes until the dog is cleared by a veterinarian. I understand that if my pet is in heat, I must inform the instructor and cannot attend class.
I acknowledge that if I, person(s) attending with me, or my dog are excessively disruptive in class, I may be excused from class without refund, make-up, or transfer.
I understand that Good Boy Dog Training does not endorse or guarantee the teachings of any guest trainer.
I agree to being videotaped or photographed in class, and acknowledge that these photographs may be used for marketing purposes.
I understand that registering for class subscribes me to Good Boy Dog Training’s mailing list, and I can unsubscribe from the mailing list after the class is over.
*Please note that acknowledgement of this policy is for yourself only. If other person(s) attend class with you, they will be required to sign as well. Parents must sign on behalf of any children attending classes.*